Sunday, June 18, 2006

Responses to the “Discernment” Process

The committee members were asked to share what they felt during the discernment time.
One man talked about some gifts a friend left him. One of the gifts was a box of non-toxic crayons. That was the image that came to him during “discernment,” and he felt that the word “toxic” was very important. He also read a short passage from “All I needed to know, I learned in Noah’s Ark”

A young woman related her image. “I’m an artist, and the first thing that came to mind was a sunset. I questioned everything. Now I feel I’ve had a revelation of confidence of what I believe.”

Another young woman said an image of a music class came to her. “I’ve taken music theory this year, and we learned about dodecaphonic music…you basically throw the notes down on the floor to make your original theme, and then create a piece using only those themes. I personally disliked that part of music theory because I like to pick my pitches…We were all worried about it, but when I stepped back, the piece was beautiful. That is what we are going to do in this committee. It will come out as whatever God intends and we will go home happy because it all works out.”

Can we overcome Biblical unfaithfulness by focusing on the word, “toxic”? Is the “vision” of a sunset sufficient to reveal Truth? Will anything True and Good come from “throwing notes down on the floor?”

Once again, we deserve better than this.

No comments: